Saturday, May 21, 2011

Emilio Aguinaldo in the Filipino-American War


In comparison to other videos, this one involves quotes and specific dates of the war.

It all starts out with June 12, 1898 when Emilio Aguinaldo declared independence for the Philippines from Spain. Next it talks about December 10, 1898 when after the American victory in the American-Spanish war, the Philippines became an American colony. 

Furthermore there was a really important quote by Emilio Aguinaldo, which clearly illustrates the pride and bravery of the Filipinos.



"I, Emilio Aguinaldo, hereby swear in the name of God, that I will give my life, my strength, and the little that I have, and that I will sacrifice my love for my wife, children, parents, bretheren for the sake of defending our motherland..." ( Watkin, 143)

In addition it mentions that Aguinaldo wasn't even the president of the Philippines. He was president of
the Republika ng Katalogan, which is different from the Republika ng Pilipinas.

Later on in the video it said, that Aguinaldo claimed that admiral Dewey and the US Council in Singapore promised independence to the Filipinos after the victory of America in the war.

And finally there were pictures of the Philippines and the last fact was, that Luzon was the main island
where Aguinaldo fought against imperialism.



In my opinion this video was mostly review of what I learned out of the previous videos. However there 
were some things that I didn't know before. As an example the quote by Aguinaldo, when he said that
he would fight until death for his motherland. I can imagine that this quote was really inspiring for a lot
of Filipinos. The Philippine-American war generally impressed me on the Filipino side because even though
they knew that they wouldn't really have a chance against the American army, they still fought for their pride!


No comments:

Post a Comment